Sept - Oct 1992
79. One Ab. Ahad R/ O Kupwara was dragged out of his house, taken into custody and then bullets were fired at him killing him brutally during crackdown operations on 1-9-92. He died on the spot.
80. One Ab. Ahad R/O Kupwara, was dragged out of a house during crackdown by the forces and after being taken into custody, forces pumped bullets into his body and killed him on 1-9-92.
81. One Bashir Ahmad Dar S/O Gh. Mohd. R/O Behrampora, Baramulla, was arrested by the forces on 30-8-92 during crackdown operations, taken to some torture cell, tortured and killed. His dead body with marks of injuries was handed over to his relatives on 2-9-92.
82. One Latief Ahmad R/O Pampore was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations along with many locals and taken to some torture center, tortured. Next day his body was found in a safron field on 3-9-92. Multiple injuries were found on his body.
83. M. Yousf Sofi S/O Gh. Hassan R/O Bagwanpora, Noorbagh, Srinagar was arrested along with many otherss by the forces in a crackdown operation in the area on 2-9-92, taken to temporary created torture cell near Wani Yar and tortured. His dead body was receieved by his relatives on 3-9-92.
84. One M. Ashraf Shah ( Iqbal Zargar) S/O Ab. Sattar Shah R/O Noorbagh, Srinagar, was arrested along with many locals by the forces during crackdown operations on 2-9-92 in Noorbagh areas, taken to some torture cell, tortured and killed. His dead body was handed over to his relatives during night hours. Visible marks of torture like injuries on the face, body, private parts could be seen. Next day in the media it was decleared that he was killed in an encounter. This has become the general trend of media in case of torture deaths. In the media neither the names of the arrested nor any report is being lodged regarding the arrested persons in the concerned Police stations delibrately.
85. Ab. Gani Bhat (employee of Food and Supplies Department) R/O Gasnderbal, Srinagar, was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations on 19-8-92, at Kangan, taken to some torture center, tortured and killed. His dead body was receieved by his relatives on 5-9-92 with number of injuries on his body.
86. Farooq Ahmad Pampori R/O Chattabal, Qamarwari was arrested by the forces one day earlier, taken to some torture cell and next day during late hours he was reportedly brought in the area and number of bullets were fired at him killing him on the spot. His dead body was receieved by his relatives on 16-9-92.
87. M. Yaqob (Phanda) R/O Abi Guzar, Sgr., was arrested by the forces in the interveening night of 16/17-9-92, during crackdown operations at Bar Bar shah, Sgr, taken to some interrogation center and on 17-9-92, brought to Abi Guzar in custody. About 7 am. the local people heard sound of bullet shots. His dead body lay on the road.
88. One Zahoor Ahmad Sheik R/O Islamabad, was arrested by the forces during search operations few days back, taken to some torture cell, tortured and killed. His dead body was receieved by his relatives on 18-9-92.
89. One Gulzar Ahmad Mir S/O Gh. Rasool R/O Safakadal was arrested by the forces on 15-9-92, and taken to some torture cell, tortured and killed. His dead body was receieved by his relatives on 19-9-92 with visible injuries on his body.
90 & 91. In the intervening night of 20/ 21-9-92, the forces cordoned off Arampora, Tengpora, Tarabal and Mirjanpora areas of Nawakadal, started search operations and arrested many persons including Riyaz Ahmad Sofi ( Peervaz Ahmad Khan) R/O Sazgaripora, Sgr,and Shawket Ahmad Bhat (semeer Khan) R/O Dangerpora, at 3 pm. They were taken to some temporary torture cell, tortured, and reportedly in the morning brought near the graveyard Islamia college Srinagar. The forces fired at them. The forces then put two K.K rifels in their hands and took some pictures.
92. One Gh. Mohi-ud-din aged 45 years R/O Hajan, Baramulla was taken into custody by the forces on 21-9-92 and killed. In this incident two more persons, namely, Ab. rashid Wani and Zahoor Ahmad Lone(Farooq) R/O Naid Khai were also killed by the forces.
93. One Mehraj-ud-din Malik (Naseer) R/O Rehipara, Baramulla, was taken into custody by the forces on 23-9-92 and later killed in some torture cell. His dead body was recovered near Khushipora Village in the District on 21-9-92. On his dead body visible marks of violence on legs, neck and face were found.
94. Bashir Ahmad Dar S/O Ab. Aziz R/O Batagund, Baramulla, was arrested by the forces on 23-9-92 from his paddy field, taken to some torture center, tortured and killed. His dead body was receieved by his relatives on 25-9-92.
95. Ab. Majid Sodagar S/O Ab. Samad R/O Khandhbhawan, Nawakadal, Srinager, was taken into custody by the forces after making forceble entery into his house.The forces after dragging him out fired bullets at him killing him in a brutal way on 26-9-92. No body was allowed to come to his help so that he could be shifted to any hospital in order to save his life.
96. One Bashir Ahmad Baht (Fuji) R/O Hajan, Baramulla was taken into custody during night hours and shot dead in the nearby area on 27-9-92. He left behind wife, three minor kids. His dead body was later recovered and handed over to his relatives.
97 & 98. The forces during crackdown operations in Bandipora areas, arrested, Nazir Ahmad Khan (employee and sanitary inspector) and Manzoor Ahmad Khan (employee) R/O Lawaypora, Bandipora, on 27-9-92. They were taken to some torture cell, tortured and killed. Their dead bodies were handed over to their relatives on 28-9-92.
99. One Mohd Iqbal R/O Uri, Baramulla, was arrested by the forces at Srinagar few days back. He was a 1st year student; his dead body was receieved by his relatives on 29-9-92.
100. The forces during crackdown operations under (Operation Tiger) cordoned off the Jamia Masjid Area of Srinagar during night hours on 3/4-10-92 and arrested number of persons in the area. In presence of the public in broad day-light forces arrested Altaf Ahmad Qurashi and Manzoor Ahmad Khan R/O Nawhatta, srinagar. The forces started beating them immediately after taking them into custody. Thereafter they were taken into a nearby temporay torture cell, tortured and then killed on 4-10-92. In the whole valley three day Bandh was observed for these brutal killing under the plan of "Operation Tiger" as a protest. In the media it was later as usual announced that they were killed in an encounter.
101. One Maqsood Ahmad Rather R/O Brain, Nishat, Srinagar, was arrested by the forces along with 15 others some days back and released half-dead on 4/5-10-92. He was shifted to Soura Medical Institute for treatment and on 6-10-92, he died of these injuries, which he had receieved at the hands of the forces during custody.
102. One Gh. Mohd. Hajam S/O Ab. Razaq R/O Dayalgam, Islamabad, was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations in the area along with many locals. On 6-10-92, the forces released 12 persons half-dead. His dead body was receieved by his relatives through local Police on 7-10-92. On his body there were visible injuries.
103. One Shawket Ahmad Mir ( Sikander) R/O Batagund Tral, Pulwama, was arrested by the forces on 24-9-92, at Sonawar, Srinagar, during crackdown operations along with 16 persons and taken to some torture center, tortured and killed. His dead body was receieved through Police control room on 8-10- 92. Some days earlier his relation had seen him in the interrogation center, where he was ill and no medical aid had been given to him.
104 to 107. On 14-10-92, three persons namely Shakeel Ahmad Khan R/O Abiguzar, Fayaz Ahmad Mir R/O Dulatabad, Khanayar and Imtiyaz Ahmad Sofi R/O Shaheed Gunj, Srinagar were arrested along with nine other persons by the forces during crackdown operations, when they cordoned off the area from Amirakadal bridge to Abiguzar area Srinagar. The forces asked the locals of the area including the passers-by to assemble in Lal Chowk for an identification parade. The shopkeepers and the person who belonged to the far flung areas were made as detainees as usual. No person was allowed to even take water. At about 5.30 pm., people heard some gun shots and were told by the forces that some militants had attacked them from across the river Jehlum. The people got worried and at 6 pm, the forces started withdrawing. When people reached to their respective homes, they heard in the media that three persons had been killed as per the official handout in the encounter at Abiguzar. The people of the locality revealed that the forces pumped bullets into their bodies and left and no person had attacked the forces. In fact the force after the so called Operation Tiger had started killing the people after the arrest. For a normal prudent man it seems impossible that a person in the tight custody of the forces will make any attack on the forces.
108 to 112. On 15-10-92, the force cordoned off the area of Tarabal, Nawakadal, Arampora, Narwara and Tengpora, Srinagar, during night hours at about 2 pm and arrested a number of persons including Shabir Ahmad Khan S/O Gh. Mohd, Jamil Ahmad Shah S/O Gh. Nabi R/O Arampora, Imtiyaz Ahmad Baht S/O Ab. Gani R/O Dalipora, Kawdara and Hilal Ahmad Bhat S/O Ab. Rehman R/O Sarnai Mohalla, Kawdara, Srinagar. These persons were beaten ruthlessly and taken to one of the temporary torture center which have been created by the force throughout State. Then these persons were taken to a graveyard near Islamia college Srinagar and were fired at. Later some persons saw that the blood of these persons was licked by the birds. Then the bodies of these persons were handed over to their relatives. In fact the forces have been authrised as per their brutal acts to kill any person without any rhyme and reason. The people living near the place of incident stated that the forces brought these persons near Islamia Graveyard and after hearing some gun shots they peeped through the windows and found that some Video film was being taken by some person who was accompanying the forces. It was early in the morning hours, the forces then fired on them and after pumping bullets, the people saw the forces putting rifles into the hands of injured person and again the video film was taken. Due to threat of the nearby bunker, the civilians of the locality could not dare to come out. However, after some time when the forces left the place, the civilians found these persons dead and the birds were seen licking blood of the victims.
113 to 117. On 13-10-92, the forces cordoned off the Sopore areas of Watergam and people were asked to come out of their homes for an identification parade. The forces arrested Nisar Ahmad Dar aged 22 years, Mohd. yousf Sheik 25 Years, Farooq Ahmad Dar aged 28 years and Sajad Ahmad Bhat aged 22 years R/O Watergam, Sopore, Baramulla, along with many locals and taken to some torture center, tortured and killed allegedly in an encounter. These people were taken to some unknown place and killed. Later it was stated in the media that they were killed in an encounter. People at large are agitating before the world that these persons are killed in custody and later shown that they attacked on the forces and were killed. Nither the forces admit the custody nor killing in their custody.
118 to 121. The forces cordoned off the Dallake, Sonawar, Old Gagribal etc. areas of Srinagar on 14-10-92 and asked the people to come out of their homes for an identification parade. The forces arrested about 60 persons in presence of the thousands of the people including Musadiq Hussain Sahaf S/O Gh. Mohd R/O Buchwara, Zahid Ahmad Bhat S/O M. Skinder R/O Dalgate, Bashir Ahmad Mir S/O Gh. Mohi-Ud-Din R/O Old Gagribal and M. Hussain Bhat S/O Gh. Hassan R/O Buchwara Dalgate. They were taken to some torture cell, tortured and later brought near the Shankeracharia mountain and bullets were pumped into them by the forces. In the media it was announced on the next day that these persons were killed when they attacked the forces. One of the retired Police official who is residing in the locality, later narrated the story of these persons who were asked to be in a row near his place of residence and narranted to the journalists that the forces then pumped bullets into their bodies from a close range and in the meanwhile a video film was being taken by some person who was accompanying the forces. It is believed that the Govt. of India is taking these video films in order to malign the Kashmir movement by giving it a colour of terrorism. In this regard the relatives have filed four Writ Petitions before the Hon'ble High Court at Srinagar. The W.P.Nos are 2812/92 to 2815/92 titled Gh. Nabi Siraj, Dr. Gh. Nabi Bhat, Gh. Mohi-Ud- Din and Mohd. Sidiq Bhawan respectivally. In these petitions the relatives have asked that a case U/S 302 RPC and 120-B etc, as they have been murdered by the forces after the arrest.
122 to 125. The forces reportedly arrested three persons namely Mehraj-Ud-Din Rather S/O Ab. Rehman R/O Chandpora, Harwan, Ali Mohd. Dar aged about 45 years R/O Ganderbal and Gh. Mohd. Mir (Patwari) R/O Chaterhama Ganderbal, Srinagar in a car at Ganderbal, Srinagar, on 14-10-92. These persons were taken to some unknown place and tortured. The dead bodies of these persons were later found near Dachigam, Srinagar on 15-10-92 , with multiple bullet injuries and other injuries. The media later announced that these persons were killed in an encounter when they attacked the forces. The forces delibrately killed them in their custody. The government is delebrately avoiding reports in the rspective Police stations regarding the arrest of these persons. Despite the harrasment by the forces during crackdowns, the people are lodging F.I.R.s in the Police stations and concerned authorities. Threats to the people of their lives for not registering cases against the forces or making complaints, the people have shown braveness.
126. One Fayaz Ahmad Lone S/O Md. Rajab Lone R/O Chanderkote, Chanapora, Sopore was arrested by the Forces during crackdown along with 3 persons namely Bashir Ah. Khan and others on 12-10- 92. The 27th Rajput Rifles took him to some unknown place for interrogation and his dead body was recovered with visible marks of voilence. From the body it was evident that the person was tortured and killed by the forces during custody. His body was recieved by his relatives on 15-10-92.
127 to 128. Two persons namely Mukhtar Ah. Kuchy and Farooq Ah. Makaie both residents of Lukhry Yar Nawakadal were arrested by the forces during a raid on the intervening night of 16/17-10-92 from Nalabal Srinagar and reportedly taken to Lalbazar Interrogation Centre, where they were ruthlessly tortured; their dead bodies were later recovered from Umar Colony Lalbazar Srinagar, in the morning hours of 17-10-92.
128 to 131. On 18-10-92, the forces cordoned off the Tengpora, Batamaloo area, under the pretext of search operations and raided a house. After entering into the house, forces took four persons namely, Ab. Qayoom Dar R/O Tengpora, Ab. Rashid Dar R/O Tengpora, Batamaloo, Ab. Rehman Dar (Immam) R/O Tengpora and Farooq Ahmad R/O Chotabazar, Srinagar, One Immam namely Ab. Rehman was dragged out from the mosque. The forces inflicted knife injuries on the various parts of their bodies, tortured them after being taken into custody and during the crackdown operations the people heard some gun shots. Later in the media it was announced that they were killed in an encounter. In this way forces under operation Tiger are killing the Kashmiries after being taken into custody.
133. At Palhallan Pattan, Baramulla, the forces cordoned off the ares on 20.10.92, and started search operations and number of persons of the locality were taken into custody along with Gh. Nabi and Azad Ahmad, and later taken to some nearby area in the village, tortured and their dead bodies were found. In the media it was announced that they were killed in an encounter.
134. One Riyaz Ahmad Sofi R/O Sazgaripora, Srinagar, was arrested by the forces some days back and taken to some interrogation center, where he was tortured and killed. His dead body was receieved by his relatives on 22-10-92.
135 to 136. On 13-10-92, one Ab. Salam Dar R/O Telbal (employee Reginal Engineering College, Srinagar), was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations by the forces and taken to some interrogation center, where he was tortured and killed. His dead body with multiple injuries on his body was receieved by his relatives through Police station Nigeen on 27-10-92. On the same date the forces entered into a hotel and dragged a young boy namely Aijaz Ahmad Zargar son of Mohammad Amin resident of Kavdera, Sgr. who was the prop. of the hotel and dragged him up to varandah and pumped a number of bullets into his body. When a waiter of his hotel tried to come to his help, the forces pumped bullets into his body but the waiter survived. An another young waiter boy managed to escape. The forces after arresting the persons have been authorised to even go for brutal murders. The poor fellow was studying in T.D.C. II and his father had also been a victim of the forces 2 years back at Sgr. There is no male member in his family to look after his family and his mother and sister are the worst sufferers.
137. One M. Ramzan Parray R/O Hajan, Baramulla, was arrested by the forces some days back and taken to some torture cell, tortured and killed. His dead body was receieved by his relatives on 28-10-92 through local Police.
138. One Mohd. Yousf Sheik (Imran) R/O Malangam, Bandipora, Baramulla was arrested by the forces on 26-10-92, taken to some interrogation center and on the next day he was brought to Quil for identification and when the poor boy could not identify any person, the forces took him to nearby field and pumped bullets into his body and killed him.
139. One Ab. Aziz Khan R/O Zehan, Uri, Baramulla was arrested by the forces some days earlier and taken to some torture cell, tortured and killed. His dead body was receieved by his relatives on 27-10-92. His dead body showed visible marks of injuries and on the protest of the people, Dy. Commissioner came to spot and assured the people about the legal action. In this connection a case under section 302 RPC has been registered in P/S Baramulla.
140. On 29-10-92, one Hilal Ahmad Najar R/O Dalgate Buchwara, Srinagar, died in the Soura Hospital, Srinagar, due to the injuries which he had receieved at the hands of the forces during the interrogation in some torture center. He was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations at Dalgate on 14-10-92, when the forces arrested about 60 persons and killed four persons after their arrest in presence of large number of people. In the media it was later announced that these four persons were killed in an encounter. This innocent boy was released on 25-10-92, half-dead which has become a routine matter for the forces for the last three years. The boy was immidiately shifted to Sours Institute and treated but scummbed to injuries after two days. The reports of the doctors clearly established that the person has died due to the injuries sustained by him during the torture especially renal failure.
This site is maintained by Gharib Hanif (firstname.lastname@example.org). Comments and suggestions always welcome.