Nov - Dec 1992
1. One Marouf Ahmad R/O Arahgam, Bandipora, Baramulla, was killed by the forces due to torture after he was arrested by the forces.
2. One Mohd. Shafi Pandith R/O Hamery, Pattan, Baramulla was arrested by the forces on 3-11-92, during a raid and his dead body was received through local Police on 6-11-92. The locals say that he was killed due to torture by the forces during interrogation.
3. One Fayaz Ahmad Dar R/O Kaw Mohalla, Khanayar, Sgr, was arrested by the forces on 5-11-92, during crackdown operations at Khanayar and killed during custody and his bullet-ridden body was handed over through Police control room Sgr, on 6-11-92.
4. On 6-11-92, One Arshad Hussain Wani R/O Ashhikocha, Urdubazar, Fethkadal, Srinagar, was arrested by the forces along with many locals on 5-6-92; his bullet-ridden dead body was handed over to his relatives on 6-11-92.
5 to 6. On 7-11-92, Two persons namely Tabasum Qurashi S/O Azim-Ud-Din R/O Syeedpora, Nawhatta, Srinagar and Fayaz Ahmad Hafiz R/O Nawhatta, Srinagar, were arrested by the forces during crackdown operations at Nawhatta on 6-11-92, and later their dead bodies were handed over to their relatives at about 4 p.m. on the next day through local Police.
7 to 11. On 8-11-92, four persons namely, Javeed Ahmad Wani S/O Gh. Ahmad, Riyaz Ahmad Wani S/O Ali Mohammad, Bashir Ahmad Bhat S/O Gh. Mohmmad and Nazir Ahmad Bhat S/O Gh. Rasool all residents of Latermasjid, Safakadal, Srinagar were killed by the forces. They were picked up by the forces during crackdown operation at Safakadal on 7-11-92, along with many others and their bullet-ridden dead bodies were handed over to their relatives on 8-11-92, through local Police. On the same date one Mohd. Yousouf (Rafiq Alam) R/O Rafia-abad, Sopore was killed in the custody of forces due to torture. He was arrested by the forces some days back along with three other persons.
12. One M. Yousf ( Rafiq Alam R/O Rafiabad, Sopore, was arrested by the forces along with three others few days early, taken to some torture cell; his dead body was received by his relatives on 8-11-92.
13. One Mehraj-Ud-Din ( Farooq Abasi) R/O Pampore, was arrested by the forces some days early, taken to some torture cell; his dead body was received by his relatives through local Police, with visible marks of violence on 10-11-92.
14 to 16. On 15-11-92, the forces started cordoning off the area of Mundji, Sopore and in the meanwhile some unknown persons attacked them. In order to shield themselves from the bullets, the forces took three persons, namely, Bashir Ahmad Khan S/O Dilawar, Ab. Majid Khan S/O Gh. Rasool and Ab. Rehman S/O Mohd. Sultan R/O Takya Mohd. Khan, Baramulla and took them along in a vehicle. The dead bodies of these three were handed over by the BSF to the local Police on the next day.
17 to 18. On 15-11-92, a vehicle belonging to the forces was damaged due to a mine blast; the forces fired indiscriminately on the passer-by due to which one Nawaz Ali Bhat 36 years R/O Mandarbagh, Sgr., died and many injured and the forces then entered into a transport yard and dragged two persons, namely, Haji Gh. Qadir (Driver) R/O Shalimar, Sgr., Bagh, Sgr., and Bashir Ahmad Sheik R/O Gunzkhud, Sgr ( Chawkidar). The forces fired at them from a close range and killed them after taking them into custody.
19. Naseer Ahmad Shah R/O Khawoora, Bakrah, Karnah, Kupwara, was arrested by the forces on 16-11-92, at Lolab, and taken to some nearby temporary interrogation cell, tortured and killed. His dead body on the same day after three hours was received by his relatives through Police. He was a lobourer.
20 to 22. On 16/17-11-92, the forces after cordoning off the Bemina, area took into custody three persons, namely, Anayat-Ullah (Firdous Ahmad) R/O Awanthipora, Mohd. Ayub Najar and Ajaz Ahmad Sheik residents of Bemina. The forces after blind-folding them took these persons in presence of thousands of locals in a vehicle. The locals heard the sound of some gun shots after some time; later the dead bodies of these were taken into custody by the Police control room on 17-11-92. The bullet-ridden dead bodies were handed over to their relatives on 18-11-92.
23. One Khursheed Ahmad Sheik S/O Ab. Sattar R/O Kupwara, was arrested by the forces on 22-11-92, taken to some torture center, tortured; the dead body was handed over to his relatives through local Police on 24-11-92.
24. One Mohd. Syeed Dar ( M. Shaid) R/O Mehjoornagr was killed by the forces during crackdown operation on 23-11-92. He was taken into custody and shot dead.
25. One Javeed Ahmad Sheik R/O Bulbul Nawgam, Badgam was arrested by the forces on 24-11-92, taken to some temporary torture center, tortured and killed. He was released half- dead near hospital at Islamabad on 27-11-92. He succumbed to injuries on the way to the hospital.
26. One Gh. Mohd. Sheikh R/O Karanshop, was taken into custody during crackdown operation and tortured, beaten; he died while he was being taken to hospital on 26-11-92.
27. On 27-11-92, the dead body of one Khursheed Ahmad R/O Kupwara, who was arrested by the forces some days back, was handed over to his relation. His dead body showed visible torture marks.
29. Bilal Ahmad (Abu Rashid) R/O Parigam, Pulwama was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations a day back in presence of large number of people and taken to some torture cell and killed. His dead body was received by his relatives on 28-12-92.
30. One Ab. Rashid Ilahi R/O Machawa, Badgam, was arrested by the forces at Charishrief on 30-12-92 and taken to some temporary torture cell, killed; his dead body was later found near a hospital and then received through Police control room on 3-12- 92.
31. One Mohd. Latief Kumar R/O Zampkadal, was arrested by the forces on 1/2-12-92 by regular army at Arizal, Pulwama and taken to some torture cell and killed. On his body visible marks of torture were visible. The body was received by his relatives through local Police on 4-12-92.
32. One Riyaz Ahmad Tarfaroosh R/O Poshyar, Habbakadal, Sgr, was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations at Karphalli Mohalla, Sgr, along with many others in presence of large number of people on 6-12-92, taken to some torture cell, tortured and killed. His dead body was received by his relatives through Police control room on 6-12-92. He had a shop at Karphalli Mohalla.
33. One Gh. Rasool Yatoo R/O Rangar, Chadoora, Badgam, was arrested by the forces at Hanjoora, during crackdown operations at about 1 P.m. by the BSF on 6-1-93 and then taken to a nearby field; his bullet-ridden dead body was later recovered from the field. It was reported in one media that he had been killed in a cross-fire.
34. One Mohd. Latief R/O Chattabal, Sgr, was arrested by the forces at Magam during crackdown operations some days back, taken to some torture cell, tortured and killed. He was the conductor of bus. His dead body was received by his relatives through Police control room on 8-12-92.
34. One Gh. Nabi Wani S/O M. Ramzan, R/O Denehama, Batapora, Ganderbal, Sgr, was arrested by the forces on 5-12-92, during crackdown operations, taken to some interrogation cell, tortured and killed. He was recently married . His body, cut into two slices, was received through local Police on 8-12-92.
35 -36. Two persons, namely, Master Gh. Nabi and Gh. Mohd. Dar R/O Harwan were taken into custody by the forces from Chaterhama forest and then taken to some torture center and killed. In the media it was stated that they had been killed in cross firing. Their dead bodies were received by his relatives on 13-12-92.
37. One Mohd. Yaseen Shah R/O Murmen, Shopian, Pulwama, was asked by the forces to get down from the bi-cycle and then taken into custody in presence of some persons and taken to some unknown place. He was killed and his dead body was received by his relatives through local Police on 13-12-92.
38. On 14-12-92, the forces at M.R.Gunj area in Srinagar, fired after a hand grenade attack, killed four persons in all. The forces after taking into custody one Gh. Mohd. Mir S/O Mohd. Sabir R/O Kanamulla, Kangan, Sgr, shot at him from close range, when one lady near the area did not identify him. Hence the forces took him as a militant shot him dead as per operation "Tiger". He was later identified because of his eye card; he was a bank employee.
39. One Fayaz Ahmad Dar S/O Gh. Mohd. R/O Misuma was dragged out from a shop by the forces at Lal Chowk on 15-12-92, when they had been earlier attacked by some unknown persons. The forces then shot him dead in the routine manner and was reported in one media that he had been killed in cross firing.
40. One Gh. Mohd. Dar ( Master Jee) R/O Sehpora, Ganderbal was arrested by the forces on 14-12-92 and taken to some torture cell, tortured and killed. His dead body was received by his relatives on 15-12-92.
41. One Ajaz Ahmad Baba ( Zubeer Khan R/O Saloora, Ganderbal, was arrested by the forces at Behrampora along with Ab. Rashid and Fayaz Ahmad Sofi on 14-12-92, taken to some torture cell and killed. His dead body was received by his relatives through Police on 16-12-92.
42- 44. On 15-12-92, the forces cordoned off the Iddgah area to Wantpora, Sgr, and number of persons were arrested by the force including Farooq Ahmad Khan S/O M. Shafi R/O Sokalipora, Rajurikadal, Peer Ashiq Hussain Masoodi S/O Gh. Hassan R/O Narwara and Ab. Hamid ( Muzamil) S/O Habib-Ullah R/O Ganderpora, Narwara,Sgr., and taken to some nearby place and shot dead during late hours when people heard some gun shots. The forces left and next day dead bodies of these persons were found in Idd-Gah area at different places. In the media as usual, it was stated that they were killed in cross firing. However about Ashaq Hussain it was stated that he was killed in an encounter.
45-47. On 15-12-92, the forces cordoned off the area of Sazgaripora,Sgr., and arrested eight persons. They were taken to some torture cell, tortured and killed. The dead bodies of three persons were thrown in different parts of city. On 16-12-92, people saw the bullet-ridden dead bodies of these four and other two on streets. The dead bodies of Riyaz Ahmad Khan ( Bita Khan) S/O Gh. Hassan R/O Sazgaripora, Wantpora, Manzoor Ahmad Bhat S/O Noor-Ud-Din R/O Bangroo Teng, Narwara, Ajaz Ahmad Sheik and Gasha (Wajahahat Hussain) R/O Pandan, Nawhatta, were later received by their relatives on 16-12-92, through Police control room.
48. One 15-12-92, the forces raided a house at Budgheer at about 7.30 hours and arrested one Fayaz Ahmad Jata S/O Ab. Aziz R/O Bacha Mohalla, Budgheer and was taken to some torture cell, tortured and killed. His bullet-ridden dead body was also received by his relatives through Police control room on 16-12- 92.
49. One Mohd Abas S/O Mohd. Aftab 20 years R/O Qazi Gund, Islamabad, was arrested two years back and lodged in Kotebalwal interrogation cell. He complained about the pain to jail authorities and was reportedly taken for treatment and brought back. In the late hours he again complained about pain and died in custody on 20-12-92 at about 9 P.M. His relatives have complained that he has died due to the negligence of authorities and torture. He was in good health at the time of his arrest.
50 to 53. The forces during crackdown operations on 23-12-92, at Natipora, Channapora arrested many persons including Ajaz Ahmad Sofi R/O Natipora, Perveez Ahmad Mir R/O Rambagh and Nisar Ahmad Dar (kuka Sirka) R/O Chanapora. They were arrested in presence of many persons and taken to a nearby area. The local say that at about 6. 30 P.M. they heard some gun shots and then cordon was lifted. The bullet-ridden dead bodies of these persons were later received by their relatives on 24-12-92.
54. One Mehraj-Ud-Din Baba 18 years R/O Awanth Bhawan, Soura was allegedly killed by the forces in custody when he was arrested by the forces on 23-12-92, while going to fill his form for TDC first class.
55. One Tariq Mustaq Shah BSC student R/O Kasgari Masjid Srinagar, was allegedly arrested by the forces during crackdown operations at Chanapora on 23-12-92. He was allegedly brought for identification purposes at Dalal Mohalla and then fired upon by the forces and killed on 28-12-92.
56.One Mohd Rajab Lawaypora, Husnibaht, was arrested by the forces on 10-12-92 and taken to some unknown place. His relatives approached officials but were not told the lodgment of the boy till 25-12-92. Finally his bullet-ridden dead body was received by his relatives through Police control room on 28-12-92. He left behind two minor kids, Widow and mother. He was the major source of income for his poor family.
56. One Khalid Rashid (Raja) R/O Qulamdanpora, Srinagar, was arrested by the forces two years back and lodged in Udhampur jail under Public Safety Act. He was also involved in a murder case when one detainee was allegedly killed in jail. This innocent person was as per the media killed while he, along with some other detainees, was being shifted during custody to some other place. As alleged they hurled a grenade and attempted to escape from custody. In this incident Police persons were injured also. As reported on the media some grenades were also recovered from their position. It is worthwhile to mention that while the detainees are shifted from one place to another, they are properly searched, full guard for preventing escape is provided and as such the story put forth by the state after the incident appears to be concocted. There is total negligence on the part of the jail authorities. The escort accompanying them has been as per the official reports sent for interrogation. The dead body of the detenue was not handed over to the relatives but after the hue and cry by the people and relatives his dead body was then under the Police escort buried at Sheed grave yard Idd Gah, Srinagar. However, his father who had gone to collect the dead body along with other persons was arrested and his whereabouts are not disclosed.
57. One Mohd. Rajab R/O Lawaypora, Husnibhat was arrested by the forces on 10-12-92. His relatives were not told of his whereabouts till 25-12-92. Finally his dead body was received through Police control room on 28-12-92. He has left behind a widow, two minor kids and old aged blind father.
This site is maintained by Gharib Hanif (firstname.lastname@example.org). Comments and suggestions always welcome.