Jan - Mar 1993
58. On 1-1-93, the relatives of Mohd. Azim received his dead body with multiple bullet injuries on various parts of body on 1-1-93. through Police control room. He was arrested by the forces some days back and taken to some unknown place and killed.
59. On 2-1-93, Regular Army Garwar Regiment, cordoned off Mugal Mohalla Chattabal, Srinagar, at about 12.30 P.M. and arrested two persons, namely Nisar Ahmad Gujree alias General Shoib R/O Mugal Mohalla and Mohd. Rafiq (papa) alias Anwar-Ul-Islam R/O Mugal Mohalla, Chattabal and were taken into a house of one Molvi Jabbar. After the cordon was lifted, the locals heard that these persons have been killed. The bullet-ridden dead bodies of these were received from Police control room on the same day at about 6 P.M.
60. On 4-1-93, the forces cordoned off the areas of Zaldagar, Pathermasjid, Fethkadal Nawabazar and some other areas in Srinagar and during search operations entered in a house where from they dragged out one boy namely, Adil Rashid Khan R/O Khankahi Moulla, Srinagar and after taking him into custody shot him dead. He had gone to see his relatives at Nawabazar and forces did not accept the requests of his close relatives. The forces under "Operation Tiger" and "Operation Cobra" are killing people after taking them into custody and then officially declare that they were killed in encounters or it is said they had tried to escape. His dead bullet-ridden dead body was received by his relatives through Police control room on 4-1-93.
61. On 5-1-93, the forces killed one person, namely, Saif-Ud-Din (Mohd. Shafi Sheikh R/O Threhgam, Kupwara, while he was taken to some place for recovery by the forces and he was shot dead near Kulangam. He was earlier arrested by the forces on 2-1-93 and taken to some torture cell. It was stated in the media that he tried to escape while he was in custody and due to the threat created by his escape to the forces, he was shot dead. When a person is in custody, chained and hands tied on the back side of trained armed personnel it is impossible for a normal prudent man to believe that a person can even attempt to escape.
62. Two Persons, namely, Ab. Rashid ( Altaf R/O Shriwara and Kifayat Hussain R/O Mamusa, Baramulla, were arrested by the forces during crackdown operations and after being taken into custody on 19-1-93, they were taken to some nearby torture cell. During late hours on the same day, the relatives received their bullet-ridden dead bodies through Police. One eye of Kifayat was damaged badly.
63. On 25-1-93, the forces cordoned off a large area under the pretext of search operations and along with many one Mohd. Hussain Haqak R/O Jamallatta, Srinagar, was also arrested after being shot at by the forces. He was tied with ropes and taken into custody. He was dragged and taken in a nearby lane and shot dead. In the media it was announced that he was killed in exchange of fire. His bullet-ridden dead body was later received by his relatives through Police control room on the same date during late hours.
64. Farooq Ahmad Minor (Sheera) S/O Ab. Ahad R/O Watalkadal, Srinagar, was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations at Khankah on 27-1-93 and then taken to a nearby pandit house at Bhirikadal, which is vacant. He was taken into custody in presence of many persons during day time. On this day about 11 more people were also arrested. His bullet-ridden dead body was later on the same day received by his relation.
65. Shawqat Ahmad Hajam S/O Sonahullah R/O Kakroosa, Handwara, Kupwara, a student was asked by the forces to get down from the private bus at Dubgah. One more person, namely Hakim Din an old aged person was also asked to come down from the bus on 26-1-93 and then both were taken to some unknown place. Bullet-ridden dead body of Shawqat was received by his relatives on 27-1-93 through Police.
66. Two persons, namely, Farooq Ahmad Sofi R/O Sazgaripora, Srinagar and Bashir Ahmad Geer S/O Rafiq Ahmad R/O Narwarah, Srinagar, were arrested by the forces during crackdown operations, on 28-1-93, when a large area was cordoned off by the forces under the pretext of search operations. Many others were arrested. Farooq Ahmad was arrested near Idd Gah area and taken to some unknown place and later bullet-ridden dead bodies of these two persons were received by their relatives through Police control room on the same day. However, on the next day it was stated in the media that they were killed in exchange of fire by the forces.
67 to 68. On 29-1-93, dead bodies of two persons, namely, Mohd. Muniem (Muna) S/O Ab. Majid R/O Bahala and Mohd Afzal Hussain (Imran) S/O Mohd. Shafi Malik R/O Dagga, Doda, who were earlier arrested by the forces. In the media it was later announced that while they were being taken to a place Walasi for recovery of arms, they tried to escape when some persons attacked on the vehicles.
69. One Gh. Mohd Magray (Zia) R/O Lar Ganderbal, Srinagar, was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations by the forces, beaten ruthlessly in presence of the people and then taken along by them; his dead body was later recovered near army camp on the next day.
70. Ab. Salam Bhat aged 32 years s/O Ashur R/O Islamabad was arrested by BSF on 17-1-93, then reportedly taken to gujar hostel, Khanabal, and later taken to Qazigund camp. On 2-2-93, legs of the innocent boy were recovered from Lawar Manda, National Highway road and after 5-2-93 his head was recovered from an another place. Though his relatives approached to all concerned but till parts of his dead body were recovered from different places, nobody informed us the whereabouts of the boy.
71. One Shamas-Ud-Din Mir R/O Behrampora, Rafiabad, was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations at Dandoosa village few days early along with 7 others including one Gh. Ahmad alias Azad They were taken to some torture celll; his dead body was recovered on the road side by his relatives on 3-2-93. In this regard a complaint in P/S Panzan has been lodged and till date no action has been taken against the culprits.
72. One Mohammad Kunsar Khan R/O Kalamdanpora, was arrested by the forces one day early during crackdown operations and next day his dead body was received by his relatives with multiple bullet injuries on 4-2-93.
73. One Shaqat Ahmad Hajam R/O Kakroosa, a 12th class student, who had come to Srinagar to see his ailing father in the hospital, was arrested by the forces on 26-1-93 at Magam, Handwara from a truck along with one Ab. Rehman Dar aged 42 years S/O Ab. Karim resident of Kupwara. After two days the dead body of Shawaqt was received by his relatives on 9-2-93, through local Police and dead body of Ab. Rehman was received by his relatives on 9-2-93. In his body at the time of last bath, pieces of cloth were seen in his mouth and it appeared that he had been killed due to ruthless torture of not allowing him to breath freely.
74. One Mir Ab. Rashid (Abas) aged 20 years R/O Noorpora, Tral, was taken into custody by the forces during morning hours when he was going to take a bath in a nearby stream. The forces under the pretext of search operations had cordoned off this and other surrounding villages. On the same day dead body of this innocent person was received through local Police with multiple bullet injuries on 9-2-93.
75 to 76. On 13-2-93, the forces under the pretext of search operations cordoned off the Rawalpora, Barzulla, Kralapora and many other areas of district Badgam. At Rawalpora, forces arrested two persons, namely, Mohammad Shafi Ilahi S/O Ab. Aziz R/O Machawa and Gh. Nabi (Ab. Rouf) Khag, Berwah, Badgam. They were taken to some pandit house for interrogations and later, in the evening, their bullet-ridden dead bodies were received through local Police.
77. One Urfan Khan S/O Gh. Mohammad R/O Kanimazar, Charamgari Mohalla, Srinagar, a student of 10th class was taken into custody by the forces during crackdown operations at Kak Shaib, Jamallatta. He was asked to face towards a building and then shot dead; his dead body was received by his relatives through Police control room on 18-2-93.
78. One Ab. Salam Parray R/O Berwah Badgam, an employee of the fire brigade department, was taken into custody by the forces when he was ready to leave for duty. His bullet-ridden dead body was received by his relatives on 19-2-93.
79. On 25-2-93, the forces during a special raid at Rawalpora, arrested one Ghulam Qadir Sofi alias Sheikh Turabi and was taken to some unknown place. His dead body bullet-ridden, arms fractured and other visible injuries was received in the evening of the same day. In the media it was announced that when a force vehicle was coming back from a village of Badgam, some militants fired on the vehicle at Kanigam and when Gh. Qadir tried to escape, forces fired at him and he was killed. But from the look of body it was quite clear the he was killed in custody due to torture. The forces for the last five months after the start of "Operation Tiger", are killing people after being taking them into custody and then on media it is announced that these people are killed in cross firing.
80. One Sajad Ahmad (Waki) R/O Islamabad, was arrested by the forces long back and his brother being a militant of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front Manzoor-Ul-Islam, was taken to Badamibagh Army Camp, which is the most notorious interrogation center . His dead body with marks of burn and other injuries was handed over to his relatives through Police control room on 25-2-93.
81 to 82. Two persons namely Mohd Ismail Bhat (Azmat Khan ) and Abdul Rahim Dar resident of Bandipora were arrested by the forces while they were walking on the roadside at Watergam on 25-2-92. During the evening on the same date theire bullet-ridden dead bodies were found. Azmat Khan's head was severed from his body and there were multiple injuries which indicated signs of torture committed by the BSF. During day hours the forces raided the house of one Ghulam Mohammad Bhat and the villagers saw these two persons in the custody of BSF personnel.
83 to 84. Jan Mohammad Danposh son of Ghulam Mohammed resident of Nawab Bazar Srinagar a handicapped person and Imteaz Ahmad Nihami son of Ghulam Mohammad also resident of Nawab Bazar were arrested by the forces during crackdown operations in the area. Jan Mohammad's dead body with multiple bullet injuries was recovered on the same evening from the cordoned off area near Krishna Floor Mills and the dead body of Imteaz Ahmad Nehami was recovered from a nearby river bank at Zaldagar. Both these persons had multiple bullet injuries and the people saw these persons being dragged out of a house and then blind folded. For the last five months the forces have been killing arrested people after taking them into custody. The young boys are especially targeted, after being taken into custody, they are taken to some nearby place in the cordoned off area and then an impression is given that some militants have fired on the forces in the cordoned off area and later on when the cordon is lifted , the dead bodies of these innocent persons with multiple bullet injuries are recovered. In the normal routine the dead bodies are being taken to Police control room where from the dead bodies after post-mortem by Police concerned; then the dead bodies are handed over to their relatives for burial.
85 to 86. Muzaffar Ahmad Paray (Feroz Ahmad ) and Abdul Majid Ganaie Zafarullah residents of Asham were arrested by the forces during crackdown operation in the area and then these persons were beaten ruthlessly in presence of their parents and other people. Later they were tied with trees and in presence of their parents and relatives forces fired on them, killing them on the spot. These persons were killed on 28-2-93 and then the dead bodies were handed over to their relatives through local Police.
87. One Basharat Ahmad Rather (Nayeem Masood) S/O Gh. Rasool R/O Vachranag, Soura, Srinagar, was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations on 1-3-93 and taken to some place and was shot dead on the same day.
88 to 89. Two persons namely Riyaz Ahmad S/O Gh. Mohammad R/O Sathu Bar-Bar-Shah, Srinagar and Abdul Rashid Bagow R/O Nai Sardk, Srinagar, were taken into custody by the forces during crackdown operations in presence of locals and many shopkeepers. They were then taken to a nearby Pandit house where they were beaten ruthlessly and then during evening hours, people heard some gun shots and they were told by the forces that some militants have attacked them inside the cordoned off area. When the crackdown was lifted, the locals came to know that these two persons had been shot dead by the forces and the dead bodies of these two were received by their relatives on the same date through Police control room. Now for the last more than six months it has become the routine of the forces to kill the persons after they are being taken into custody and on the next day in the media the government comes with the handout that these are killed in cross fire.
90. One Riyaz Ahmad Sheikh S/O Mohammad Shaban R/O Koolipora Khanayar, Srinagar was arrested by the forces early in the morning during search operations on 7-3-93. On the same date during afternoon, his bullet-ridden dead body was received by his relatives. When his father heard the news, he received a shock and died also on the same date.
91. One Abdul Salam Shah aged about 52 years, R/O Kanihama, Chadura, Badgam (Immam of the local mosque), was arrested by the forces from his residence on 7-3-93 and his dead body was received by his relatives on the same date.
92. One Mohammad Yousuf alias Zahid R/O Natipora, was taken into custody by the forces at Islamabad on 25-4-92 and lodged in some jail and on 7-3-93; his dead body was received by his relatives and they were informed that he died due to the shock.
93. One Abdul Majid Rather R/O Athwajan, of district Pulwama, was arrested by the forces on 9-3-93 and given beatings on his head. He was taken to some place in an injured condition and later his dead body was handed over to his relatives on the same date.
94. One Mustaq Ahmad Rather alias Feroz Illahi (Hyder Ali) R/O Gulurpora, Hyderpora, Badgam was arrested by BSF 95 at about 4 p.m. from Qamarwari area Srinagar on 7-3093 and taken to some unknown place. His bullet-ridden dead body was received by his relatives on 10-3-93 with multiple injuries.
95 to 96. Two persons, namely Hilal Ahmad Mir alias Naseer-ul-Islam R/O Panzan Badgam and Ab. Hamid Khan alias Tabasum S/O late Gh. Mohammad R/O Sheedgunj, Srinagar, were arrested by the forces at Natipora on 13-3-93. Firstly Ab. Hamid was arrested from a office and brought to the place to identify his other partner who was sitting in a three wheeler at about 9.30 am. The forces allowed the driver namely, Mohammad Shafi and the two kids of Ab. Hamid namely, Nahida and Fahim, to go but these two were taken into custody and taken to some unknown place. On the same date during evening hours, the bullet-ridden dead bodies of both of these were recovered from a nearby field.
97 to 99. During the intervening night of 12/13-3-93, at about 1.30 p.m. the forces raided a house at Sazgaripora, Wantpora, Srinagar. One person namely, Nisar Ahmad Lone alias Shahjee R/O Danderkah, Batamaloo, Srinagar, was already arrested by the forces from Sopore on 9-3-93 and he was also brought for identification. When the forces cordoned off the house and its surrounding areas, the forces made an forcible entry into the house and the family members of the house were asked to maintain silence. They entered into a room where two persons,namely Fayaz Ahmad Wani S/O R/O Dabtal, Zinakadal, Srinagar and Mir Farooq Ahmad S/O Gh. Nabi R/O Wantpora, Rajurikadal, Srinagar were sleeping. The forces brought Nisar Ahmad Lone also and kept all three in one room and the other family members of Mir Farooq Ahmad in the other room. The forces started torturing these three inside the room for about three hours. The family members said they they heard painful cries of the three and finally they shot dead all three in the same room. In the media it was later announced on the next day that these three persons were killed in an encounter.
100. One Bashir Ahmad Teli R/O Panzalpora, Bandipora, Baramulla, was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations at Panzalpora one day earlier. On the next day one of his brother was also lifted by the forces. When their mother approached to the forces camp at Sonarwani, she was informed that her son Bashir Ahmad had been released. But when she reached home, she did not see her son and instead heard that her son had been killed. The bullet-ridden dead body with multiple injuries on different parts of his body was found at Gureez Road on 18-3-93; later a complaint was registered in the concerned Police station regarding the incident. Earlier to this two persons namely, Mohad Ismail Bhat and Ab. Rahim of Bandipora area were killed in the same way. The state authorities came with a hand out on the next day that he was killed in an encounter.
This site is maintained by Gharib Hanif (firstname.lastname@example.org). Comments and suggestions always welcome.