Nov - Dec 1993
1. One Ab. Gani R/O Chowgam, Qazigund, Islamabad was arrested by the forces one day early and later his dead body with multiple injuries on various parts of the body with some bullet injuries was handed over to his relatives through local Police on 30-11-93.
2. One Mohd Sidiq Sheikh r/O Nigli, Trazova, Sopore, was arrested by the forces during a search operation and later his dead body was received by his relatives with bullet injuries on 30-11-93.
3. One Mohd Amin Chath R/O Aribal, Pulwama, a student, was dragged out from a house during search a operation in presence of the locals on 4-12-93 and shot dead on the roadside.
4 to 7. One Jaffar Kashmiri alias Haji R/O Kaloosa, Bandipora of Baramulla District was arrested by the forces on 6-12-93 at about 11 p.m. along with three other persons namely, Bashir Ahmad R/O Bandipora, Ajaz Ahmad R/O Kangan, Bashir Ahmad R/O Unahgam, Bandipora and the dead bodies of all the four persons were received by their relatives on the same date after 1 p.m. with bullet injuries on their bodies.
8. One Gh. Ahmad Dar R/O Awgam, Kulgam, Islamabad was arrested by the forces on 26-11-93 along with one Khursheed Ahmad a student; his dead body with bullet injuries was received by his relatives on 9-12-93. He was father of two minor kids.
9. One Mustaq Ahmad Bhat R/O Shopian, Pulwama district was arrested by the forces on 6-12-93; his dead body with bullet injuries was found near Mounabad on 10-12-93.
10. One Zahoor Ahmad S/O Gh. Nabi R/O Chapra of Doda was arrested by the forces during search operations three weeks back. He was subjected to torture during custody and was after three weeks released on 11-12-93. He later sccumbed to these injuries on 13-12-93.
11. One Ab. Gani Waza aged 48 years R/O Baramulla was arrested by the forces from a shop on 13-12-93 in the presence of a number of persons; later his dead body was received by his relatives through local Police on 14-12-93. The people of the area observed bands as a mark of protest on 15-12-93.
12. One Ab. Khaliq Ganiee alias Jamal Afgani R/O Kaloosa, Bandipora was arrested by B.S.F. at Kupwara on 14-12-93 and taken to some unknown place. His bullet-ridden dead body with multiple injuries on his head was received by his relatives on 15-12-93.
13. One Gurmel Singh R/O Satwari, Jammu was arrested by the forces on 17-12-93; next day his dead body was received by his relatives on 18-12-93 with multiple injuries as reported in daily Kashmir Times. The various Sikh organizations have condemned the statement of Government in which it was stated that he was killed in an encounter.
14. One Abdul Majid Najar S/O Gh. Mohd R/O Malla Bagh, Lalbazar, Srinagar was arrested by the BSF at about 12.30 on 20-12-93 along with Ajaz Ahmad Bhat and Fayaz Ahmad Bhat from the roadside in a busy market. The relatives of deceased approached the Karannagar interrogation center on 21-12-93, where they were told the he is with them and needs some medicine. However on 22-12-93 his dead body with visible marks of torture and injuries on various parts of his body was handed over to his relatives at about 3.45 p.m. The people of the locality raised slogans for independence and observed bands. The people also demonstrated against this torture death.
15. One Farooq Ahmad Najar R/O Nigeen, Srinagar, was arrested by the forces during crackdown operations in presence of a large number of people on 20-11-93 and taken to some unknown place. His relatives approached all concerned but whereabouts of the arrested person was not disclosed. On 22-12-93, his dead body with injuries was handed over to their relatives through local Police. The forces had perhaps conducted post-mortem of the deceased of its own.
16. One Gh. Rasool Ganiee R/O Chatrigam, Kupwara was arrested by the forces on 20-12-93 from the village and taken to some unknown torture cell and his dead body was handed over to his relatives through local Police on 23-12-93.
17. One Ab. Rashid Sofi R/O Pattan was arrested by the forces on 21-12-93, along with one person near Kanli after they got injured due to the firing by the forces. The deceased received a bullet on his shoulder and then forces took him to some unknown place and next day his dead body was received by his relatives through local Police.
18. One Mohd Ramzan Rather resident of Bijbeara was arrested by the forces on 23-112-93 and next day his bullet-ridden dead body was handed over to the concerned Police station who in turn handed over the dead body, with visible marks of violence, to his relatives for burial.
19. One Ghulam Rasool Ganaie resident of Kupwara was arrested by the forces on 20-12-93 from Chhatri village and his dead body was handed over to his relatives on 23-12-93 for burial with multiple marks of violence and injuries on his body.
20. One Abdul Qayoom alias Irfan resident of Padshahi Bagh, Srinagar aged 22 years was arrested during crackdown operations by the forces alongwith six other persons. He was shot dead after arrest on the same date. He was a tailor by profession. His dead body bearing visible knife cut marks on his chest, and bullet injuries as noticed. His dead body was handed over to his relatives through local Police on 24-12-93.
21. One Gh. Nabi Mir R/O Hatmulla, Kupwara who was arrested by the forces some days back was killed in custody and his dead body was handed over to his relatives through local Police on 27-12-93.
22 & 23. Two persons namely, Manzor Ahmad R/O Kunji, Halmatpora, Kupwara and Gh. Hassan Mir were arrested by the forces during crackdown operations at Dugrupora, Kupwara on 26-12-93 in presence of a number of persons and on 28-12-93, their dead bodies were handed over to their relatives through local Police.
24. One Mohd. Ashraf Sheikh R/O Baramulla was arrested by 15th brigrade (Punjab) few days back at Fethgradh and his dead body was handed over to his relatives through local Police on 28-12-93.
25. One Ab. Rehman alias Sheer Khan R/O Kawpora, Pattan of Baramulla was taken into custody on 27-12-93 after identification during search operation and his bullet-ridden dead body was handed over to his relatives on 28-12-93.
26. One Janisar Akhter of North Kashmir was taken into custody by the forces earlier and then his dead body was found on the roadside on 30-12-93. There were marks of torture visible on his body and cigerette scars. From his body it was noticed that during torture a hot iron might have been moved over his body.
This site is maintained by Gharib Hanif (firstname.lastname@example.org). Comments and suggestions always welcome.