Jan - Jun 1990
1. Gh. Qadir War R/O Arizal, Badgam aged about 65 years was killed in the interrogation center Jammu in June,1990. He was arrested by the Indian Forces earlier and taken to interrogation center, Akhnoor, Jammu, where the old man was tortured and killed.Without informing his family, he was buried in Jammu. A writ petition was filed on his behalf by one of the leading Advocate namely Mr. Mufti Showket in the Hon'ble High Court at Srinagar, for fresh post-mortem at Srinagar in order to ascertain the cause of death and to allow the dead body of Gh.Qadir War to be burried at their personal graveyard , but till date the order of the Hon'ble H/C has not been complied with despite of the fact that the service upon the respondent i.e State, is complete and as such the people of this State have even lost the right of burial.
2. Mehraj-ud-Din Shagoo R/O Shaheedgung, Srinagar was arrested by the Indian Armed Forces earlier and killed due to torture during interrogation and his dead body was dropped outside the gate of one Jawahir Lal Nehru Memoriel Hospital, Rainawary,Sgr.
3. Fayaz Ahmad MatooR/O Amdakadal,Lal Bazar,Sgr. was arrested by the Indian Forces earlier and was taken to some interrogation center. He was killed due to torture and is buried at Lal Bazar Srinagar.
4. Ali Mohd Ahanger R/O Islamabad was arrested earlier by the Indian Forces and was taken to some interrogation center where he was tortured and later shifted to Central Jail, Banaras (U.P), where he succumbed to injuries sustained by him during interrogation. His body was not allowed to be brought to Srinagar for burial but was buried at Banaras against the wishes of his relatives. He had been arrested on 31-12-88. Obviously he too has been denied the right of burial which has become a common feature in the State.
5. Mohd Sultan Milk R/O Sopore was arrested by the Indian Forces and taken to some interrogation center, where he was murdered due to torture.
6. Shabeer Ahmad Salati S/O Ab. Ahad R/ O Nawshara,Srinagar aged about 19 years was arrested by Indian Forces earlier, taken to some interrogation center, where he was tortured and killed. His dead body was handed over to his father on 15-5-90 through control room, Srinagar.
7. Hilal Ahmad S/O Mohd. Sultan Tarbaly R/O Maisuma,Sgr., aged about 22 years was arrested by the Indian Armed Forces at Kupwara, taken to some interrogation center where he was tortured and murdered. His dead body was decomposed, one year missing and blue flame burns were found on his body at the time when his dead body was handed over to his relatives.
8. Ab. Razaq R/O Islamabad who was arrested by the Indian Armed Forces earlier, was killed due to torture in the interrogation. His dead body was handed over through control room Srinagar.His one eye had been gorged out, his tibia and fibula were broken; thigh muscles were cut. Both corners of the mouth were slit upto the ears.
9. Mohd. Ayub Khan S/O Mohd. Yaqoob R/O Zurhama, Kupwara aged about 35 years was arrested on 14-5-90 by 68 Mountain Brigade at his residence in the evening. During custody he was interrogated, tortured and killed by pumping five bullets into his body.
10. Mohd. Altaf Khan R/O Batapora,Haihama, District Kupwara was arrested by 268 Artillery Brigade on 20-5-90 and taken to Drugmula army camp. His body was thrown in District Hospital Kupwara and the civil authorities were mis-informed about his being killed in a fake encounter. His post-mortem report revealed death due to head injury. His dead body was full of bruises and no sign of bullet injury was visible. The number of such incidents is now very high.
11. Ab. Majid Khan S/O Gh. Mohi-ud- Din R/O Marhama,Kupwara was arrested by 68 Mountain Brigade on 22-5-90 and later bullets were pumped into his body due to which he was killed. He was arrested along with his father who was later thrown out of the Army Jeep on the way to Hospital. After some days the body of Ab. Majid Khan was found in a village with one eye missing and full of bruises.
12. Mangata KhanS/O Ab. Rehman R/O Dardpora, Kupwara was arrested by the Army with other villagers on 3-6-90 and taken to Army camp. The next day, the dead body of Mangta was handed over to the Hospital staff at Kralapora. His head was found with fracture due to which his death was caused. In this regard an F.I.R. has been registered in Police station Kralapora and no action so far has been taken by the authorities in this regard.
13. In July,1990 one young boy of District of Islamabad who had been taken into custody by the Indian Forces earlier was tortured in some interrogation center, in consequences whereof, he was murdered. His dead body was later thrown in Verinag, Islamabad.
14. Gh. Hassan SheikR/O Kupwara was arrested on 10-7-90 by the Indian Forces and killed due to torture in the interrogation center.
15. Bashir Ahmad S/O Ali Akber Khan R/O Uri, a contractor was arrested along with one Ab. Samad Saraf and his brother Latief Ahmad at his residence. He was killed due to torture during interrogation. His dead body was handed over to the local Police, who refused to receive the same and later his dead body was found in River Jahlum near Uri. On his body, visible marks of violence especially on left leg, chest, hands were found. His brother's whereabouts are not yet known to their relatives despite of H/C Petition filed in the High Court.
This site is maintained by Gharib Hanif (firstname.lastname@example.org). Comments and suggestions always welcome.